skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Back to School
As Summer vacation ended this year I found myself resenting the fact that our lives would again be taken over by homework, activities and someone else's schedule. Time off from school when everyone is home is heavenly. I understand the excitement the kids have for a new year and seeing all their friends again. Now, don't get me wrong, I do enjoy having the sink stay empty and the counter clean for at least 6 hours during the day. But, the quiet sometimes about does me in. A family member once told me that every year when her daughter started school again and she was alone she wondered what she was going to do. Well, with Haley on her second year at BYU and my baby in 3rd- yes 3rd grade- I am finally at that point. What am I going to do now? Maybe it's a mid-life crisis (I doubt that.. not feeling any crisis here) or maybe it's just looking ahead and seeing the writing on the wall of a lonely house someday with no one to bake for, or pick up after - Alan really isn't that messy (he even makes the bed almost every day- :o) So, bear with me if I get a little melancholy once in a while. After all, I am a Mom.
Last week we loaded our Sequoia with the boys and a college girl's essentials, and drove Haley back to BYU. It was wonderful to have her home but when it was time to leave, she was ready. After a successful trip to IKEA, the grocery store and Grandma's house (always a great stop- she now has the comfiest bed in the apartment and a microwave the size of Jupiter?) we got her settled for another year at her home away from home.Jaime and Erin stayed home by themselves and I think had more fun than they planned. Beach trips, ice cream and movies, parties (not at our house thankfully) and no direct parental supervision, was total heaven.
Jaime and Erin - ready for High School again - Erin a sophomore, Jaime :'( sniff, a senior.
Dallin is at middle school and for the first time gets to ride the bus to and from school. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet, but he loves it. I think maybe it has something to do with the darling triplet girls that are also at his bus stop. ;-)
Brayden is now the lone child at elementary school. He loves being a 3rd grader and I love how independent he is. I do get private kisses and hugs goodbye still-- my saving grace.
4 comments:
I've had a harder time with "back to school" this year. I think because Zac started high school. A friend pointed out that we are here as parents to help them progress. So I'm holding on to that. And it looks like you are doing a great job of it with your family!
WOW! Jaime is a senior this year. Wow! Brent and I were just talking last night about our little Hailee and she'll be off to college in 7 years. Slow down!
BTW....tell those cute triplets that Dallin is already called for. :)
Um, if your house is too quiet and the walls are too clean, you can come visit the constant chaos that occurs daily in our home. Bring dinner for 6 when you come. :)
This post ALMOST made me sad that school has started again! :0) The kiddos are growing up fast aren't they?
Post a Comment