Sunday, June 12, 2011

catching up

May Madness
A few years ago I was going crazy with recitals, concerts, last minute school projects, plays, church activities, end of school parties, sports... etc. etc.. I added the word "madness" to this poor month. Really, May is a perfectly happy month-- except when you have children. The madness becomes even greater when those children become teenagers.
So, that's my reason for not blogging for nearly 2 months. But, now I have a lot of catching up to do. Here we go:

Newport Getaway
Knowing May would be hectic, we planned a weekend family getaway to Newport Beach. Just the family- no plans, no responsibility. Just fun. :o) It was! We met up with my niece Emmaleigh and her husband Jayson for the day and they showed us the town. It was terrific. Life size games of chess and late night hot tubs were the high light. Not to mention the beautiful view from atop the hotel pool deck. Pure paradise.
It really was fun-- especially the ride home. :o)
see?
Look how much fun Erin is having with her brothers all snuggled up to her.
What a great sister!

Newest high school freshman
This cute little boy - who was this age yesterday I swear!- graduated from middle school. Okay- I'm not the biggest fan of 8th grade graduation but sadly, I missed it due to an event I'll blog about later. So, I have to make a big deal about it. Dallin is one amazing kid. Student council rep, awesome musician, great friend, soccer-football-basketball-baseball lover...and just an all around happy guy to have in our family. We are lucky, lucky parents.
He received the school's John Phillip Sousa award for band.
The highest award given to a student. Pretty cool- yes.
Proud family- minus a few :(
Dallin and bestie Evan.

Dancing Queen
The girls danced for years and years and years and... -- And then we had a year off. I missed it. Soooo- happy Mom. :o) Erin is dancing again. Her performance was terrific. It was an entirely different experience now that she drives herself to class, rehearsals and everything in between. I didn't have to do much except show up! (I did manage to sneak back stage a couple times between performances- maybe out of habit- or maybe just for old times sake. Once a backstage mom- always a back stage mom.)
Dallin, Daddy and Brayden were there, along with some great supportive friends. :-) I thought this would be fun for the boys to see their sister dance. You know-- great family time.
hmmmm... After the first performance of some tiny princesses in tap shoes--
Brayden leans over to me and with a very concerned look, says:
"what was the point of that?"
Imagine how the remaining 2 1/2 hours of show went.
Note to self: seat Brayden beside Dad next time.

No comments: