
So-- how does the third time compare?
Well, I must say after texting my friends and family at mile 20 how badly I hated it and to never let me do this again... I honestly think round three was the best. I don't race for time. (although if I had a time under 4 hours- I might feel differently) I don't even race. I run. I run because I love the feeling it gives me. I love what it does for my heart. I love what it does for my head.
Over 6000 people run in St George. It's a crazy organized race with all types. I saw elderly men and women, young teens and pregnant moms. Families, friends and just good folks with a lot of courage. I won't say I loved it all, but I did have a few "aha" moments along the way. Running 26.2 miles with just your ipod --it's tough not to start contemplating life and your sanity as well as that of those around you!
There were some sweet and very emotional parts of the race for me this year. Maybe it was the people I met, or the people I was with (or the urge I had to hop in the ambulance at mile 21). Either way, it was a much different experience than I have had before. However, I was grateful to have some familiar sweet parts as well.
Girlfriends-- Hydee and I have been running together for almost 6 years now. She is the best. I don't know if I'd even know how to run anymore if she wasn't with me. Ixchelle is amazing. This was her first marathon and she did so great. Her enthusiasm and strength to carry on makes her one of the most courageous girls I know.
General Conference -blasting on a loud speaker around mile 6-- last year I heard Elder Holland speaking. This year it was Sister Barbara Thompson. So great to hear her voice as we rounded the corner-- thank you to the faithful fans who set that up!
Mile 24-- (again)
WHY is this so great? I guess after 4 hours of GU and Gatorade and jolly ranchers (I highly recommend stashing a few of these in your little SPI pouch should you ever choose to run a marathon)..... COKE is a welcome change. :o) Thank you, thank you to the folks with the bright green cooler. You were my life savers at that point!
Veyo Hill-- the ONE mile plus jaunt up the volcano wasn't the quad buster this year at all. It was even a little bit fun. I guess all those runs with rattlesnakes out in Taft paid off.

The Scenery-- coming around the corner at mile 17 is THE reason to do this race.
The end-- hello....it's OVER!! (and Blue Bunny ice cream... endless supply...)
The massageS-- 2 this year!! Ice and Compression massage. Made a world of difference in my ability to walk today.
The jewelry (and matching shirt)- love the white. Very nice
The gorge on trip home--lest you think this trip was all serious and no fun..... let me direct you to our dashboard as we pulled out of the gas station on our way home. No more pre-race vitamins, boiled eggs and pasta for us. Just back to the basics. :D
Thanks again St George. You are truly amazing to put on a race this well. My mind, body, and spirit has truly been blessed and I am a better girl for taking you on.





1 comment:
You three ladies amaze me! You almost have me convinced that running 26.2 miles is actually fun.
Post a Comment